The role of your bridesmaids and maid of honour
So you’ve known since primary school which of your oldest friends will play the role of bridesmaids, but are you a little unsure exactly what their tasks are meant to be? Here’s a guide as to what to expect from your bridesmaids – and remember to check our guide on where to find Tasmania’s best bridesmaids’ dresses.
All photographs: Jon Jarvela Photography
Typically, a bridesmaid’s duties include the following:
- Helping the bride shop for her dress and bridesmaids’ dresses.
- When asked, giving advice on decorations, bomboniere, music and anything else.
- Helping the maid of honour plan the bridal shower or kitchen tea, and, if appropriate, chipping in for the costs of food, decorations or venue.
- Assisting in planning the bachelorette party.
- Helping the bride dress (and stay calm) before the ceremony.
- Telling others where the couple is registered and other details, such as when they will return from their honeymoon, where to send gifts and any name changes.
- Being useful at the wedding reception. The couple may ask you to help direct guests to the guestbook, assist with a special moment, make sure that vendors have arrived or do crisis management. You might also want to stay after the reception and make sure things are cleaned up and wedding presents secured.
- Consider throwing (or helping to pitch in for) a day-after brunch. These events are great to help the couple catch up with out-of-town guests, and have a more relaxed environment to socialise in.
A Maid of Honour (or Matron of Honour) has additional duties. She is the person whom the bride most wants to honour and celebrate her friendship.
At the wedding ceremony, she has the honour of being the last to walk down the aisle before the bride and stands next to her during the ceremony. In addition to a bridesmaid’s duties, a maid of honour should:
- Help with the overall wedding planning, such as researching locations, florists, caterers and other vendors.
- Volunteer to help address wedding invitations and/or announcements.
- Make sure her fellow bridesmaids have ordered their dresses and accessories on time.
- Helping with the rehearsal dinner.
- Holding the bouquet during the ceremony.
- Giving a meaningful toast during the reception.